Thursday, March 27, 2008

Day 56: Finals Day 1

Today is our first day of finals. After we get all of the ingredients we need for the day, we're sent to our own stations with no recipes and no talking and asked to provide specific dishes. Today we also had to breakdown a whole chicken before we could start. We actually don't know how we do because the chefs aren't telling us anything until the end of the week. Even though I have a solid 92 coming into this week (which is an A), I'm still a little nervous about cooking without a net.

After breaking down the chicken and presenting it to the chef I got to work on my first dish; Sauteed Chicken Breast with Polenta, Sauteed Brussels Sprouts and Mustard Pan Sauce. Eeverything came out very nice. I sauteed the blanched Brussels Sprouts in bacon fat so they came out nice and crispy and added Mascarpone and Parmagiana-Reggiano to the Polenta.

I'm not sure what the chefs thought about it but I pretty much devoured it after I was done. I know a lot of poeple have a problem with Brussels Sprouts, but if you blanch them in boiling water and then cut them in half and crisp them up in some bacon fat, you might change your mind.

The second dish required today was a Sauteed Halibut with a Potato and Artichoke Gratin, Spring Onions and Fines Herbs Beurre Blanc. We had to fillet the fish and then get cooking.

I'm pretty sure I got the smallest halibut in the world so my fillet got kind of lost on top of the Gratin, but I was really happy how this dish came out. The Fines Herbs Beurre Blanc was probably the best I've ever made. I'm pretty happy with my cooking for today.

No comments: