Saturday, March 29, 2008

Day 59 - Finals Day 4

Today we had to present a 3 course meal. First up was Miso Soup. This is something I don't eat very often and the times that I have, I haven't found a consistent flavor. Therefore it was a little difficult for me to get the right combination of the Mirin and the Soy Sauce. But when I turned it in, the chefs both seemed to like it. Sorry there is no picture.

Next came Shrimp and Vegetable Tempura. This is a pretty simple dish. You clean the shrimp and cut the vegetables and then make a batter, dip and deep fry. This picture came out blurry but I'll show you anyway.





Chef Brown ate an entire half moon onion so I feel like this went over well too. Last came Pan-Roasted Duck Breast with Spiced Butternut Squash, Roasted Plums and Plum Gastrique.


It's scary how much I like making duck and making the sweet/sour gastrique. This is probably one of my favorite dishes to prepare because duck is not the easiest cut of meat to work with. It's very fatty and gamey and you really have to be patient with the cooking process for the skin to come out crispy and the meat to come out flavorful. Both chefs liked this dish so I feel like today was a pretty successful day.

No comments: