Thursday, March 27, 2008

Day 57 - Finals Day 2

Today we started with a final written exam worth 10% of our overall grade. It covers everything we've learned from PCA1 and PCA2. There is a product identification portion on the test as well as a herb and spice id section. I'm not positive, but I can't think of any question I got wrong. I sometimes get Paprika and Cayenne mixed up if I don't have them side by side but I'm pretty sure it was Paprika on the test.

The first thing today is fabricating a snapper. I've really gotten quite good at breaking down fish. Please make sure you invite me on your next fishing trip. :)

My first dish today was Sauteed Snapper with a Melange of Baby Vegetables and Fish Consomme.

I'm not sure this picture does this justice but it came out quite nice. I'm not a big fan of fish soup but I'm pretty sure the chefs approved.

Next came Salmon en Papillote with Fingerling Potatoes. Fennel, Olives, and Teardrop Tomatoes. This is a dish where you put everything layered in a parchment envelope and add some white wine. You put it in the oven and the wine steams everything so the fish and the vegetables all comes out very light and flavorful.

I made a little mistake on this. There is a sauce that is made from the juices in the bottom of the bag after cooking. I misunderstood and had to create an entirely new sauce (not pictured.) The new sauce came out fine but it wasn't as complex as the sauce should have been. I still think it went over okay.

No comments: